26 May 2009

SEVEN SONG CIRCLE #1


Something a little different for me. No real rarities in this batch.

Every once in a while, I come up with these little lists of songs that fit together in various ways. Originally I intended to put them on some sort of compilation. Now, since I have this blog, I figured I'd stick a few of these series up here.

I don't know how long this little feature will last, since I only have a finite amount of these at the moment. If you have a suggestions, feel free to pass them along.

In the meantime, enjoy circle #1:

(files expired)

1 XTC - "That's Really Super, Supergirl"
2 Crash Test Dummies - "Superman's Song"
3 Grant Lee Buffalo - "The Hook"
4 Blues Traveler - "Hook" (live)
5 Bill Lynch - "This is the Theme to Gary's Show"
6 They Might Be Giants - "Boss of Me"
7 They Might Be Giants - "XTC vs Adam Ant"

notes:
1 From the absolutely amazing album, Skylarking. (buy)
2 From their under rated debut album, The Ghosts That Haunt Me. (buy) Continues the "Super-being" theme.
3 From the truly fantastic album, Fuzzy. (buy) Opening line mentions "I don't believe in Superman."
4 Released as a b-side. The studio version is on Four. (buy) The reason for this one is obvious.
5 The theme from It's Gary Shandling's Show. Another song that lyrically de-constructs itself..
6 From the Dial-a-Song compilation. (buy) Also a TV theme song (Malcolm In the Middle).
7 From Severe Tire Damage. (buy) TMBG tune, referencing the first act on the list. An alternate song that could be put here is TMBG's cover of The Dukes of Stratosphere's "25 O'Clock". (The Dukes being an alter-ego of XTC)

If there's ever been an Adam Ant tune that was used as a TV theme song, that would have made a far cleverer #6, but as far as I know, no such animal exists.

That's it for #1. I'll be back on Friday with some actual rare stuff.



No comments: