13 February 2009

SCREAMING BLUE MESSIAHS


Best known here in The States for their novelty hit "I Wanna Be a Flintstone", the Screaming Blue Messiahs were lead by one Bill Carter. They came out of England in the mid-eighties, and released 3 fantastic albums before breaking up.

I had avoided listening to them when I first heard of them back in the day, largely due to the novelty of said hit. That changed a couple years later, when I heard "Four Engines Burning" off Totally Religious. The guitar hook had me.

I picked up the album, and have been a fan ever since.

They don't have a whole lot of rarities I've come across. A few b-sides, and several tracks on their debut EP that were never put on a full length. That's about it. No unusual soundtrack work or collaborations that I know of.

Here's the little bit I have. This should tide you over while I go about one more busier-than-I-should-be week at work, before I finally get a breather.

(files expired)

Screaming Blue Messiahs - "The Power Glide" B-side of "Smash the Market Place" single.
Screaming Blue Messiahs - "Jerry's Electric Church" B-side of "I Wanna Be a Flintstone"
Screaming Blue Messiahs - "I Want Up" From the debut EP, Good and Gone.
Screaming Blue Messiahs - "Tracking the Dog" From the Good and Gone EP.
Screaming Blue Messiahs - "Good and Gone" Also from the Good and Gone EP.

Screaming Blue Messiahs discography:

Good and Gone, 1984 (EP)
Gun-Shy, 1986
Bikini Red, 1987
Totally Religious, 1989

It appears that all of their albums are out-of-print, but they are about to release a collection of recordings made for the Beeb. Pre-order Live at the BBC here.

4 comments:

Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

Top band. If yer interested there's a couple of live shows of theirs on my blog, you may have 'em or you may not.

DeadBilly said...

Nice blog you've got there.

lee woo said...

Silence speaks so much louder than screaming tantrums. Never give anyone an excuse to say that you're crazy. See the link below for more info.


#screaming
www.ufgop.org

sarah lee said...

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.


edupdf.org